Skip to main content


Connect with the local beverage industry. Trade news, trends and insights.

Antinori Acquires Napa Valley’s Stag’s Leap

By June 25, 2023Top News

Marchesi Antinori, one of Italy’s oldest wine producers, acquired full ownership of Napa’s Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars from Ste. Michelle Wine Estates after 16 years of collaboration with the prestigious winery. The family, which is the only Italian wine producer to own a winery in Napa County, California, has been in the Valley since 1985, when its patriarch Marchese Piero Antinori began a friendship with Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars Founder Warren Winiarski, who decided to sell the estate in 2007. Ste. Michelle Wine Estates purchased an 85% stake in Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars from Winiarski that year and Antinori acquired the remaining 15%. Ste. Michelle has overseen a successful period in the estate’s history but is focusing on growth of its home region wines of the Pacific Northwest. The transaction is scheduled to close by the end of June; the sale price was not disclosed.

« | »