In a nationwide search among professional mixologists to show off their most creative cocktail talents, five of the six semi-finalists were selected by an International Wine, Spirits & Beer Event (IWSB) judges panel. The sixth was picked by the general public as the “people’s choice” contender through online voting for the fourth annual Star of the Bar competition. The mixology maestros are now heading to Chicago to demonstrate their skills in a live competition using key ingredient American Harvest Organic Spirit at the 2013 International Wine, Spirits & Beer Event (IWSB) on May 19.
The six Star of the Bar semi-finalists are:
- Carlos E. Cuarta from High Proof Chicago in Chicago, Ill. with his Rumble in the Yard!
- Christopher James from The Ryland Inn in Red Bank, N.J. with his The Rocket Man
- Chino Lee from Departure in Portland, Ore. with his Blueberry Bramble
- Steve Schneider from Employees Only in New York, New York with his The Dean
- Kim Stodel from Chloe in Santa Monica, Calif. With his The Beets Knees
- Art Tierce from Teardrop Lounge/Ransom Winery in Portland, Ore. with his May Flowers
“Star of the Bar is the mixology competition that drives cocktail innovation, pushing palate boundaries with curious ingredients and unexpected combinations,” said Jeffrey W. Davis, Convention Chair for NRA Show 2013 and IWSB and CEO of the United States Beef Corporation. The competition is judged by both the public and industry peers allowing mixologists passionate about crafting cocktails their time in the spotlight. We wish all the semi-finalists the best of luck in the competition this year’s International Wine, Spirits & Beer Event.”
The six semi-finalists will go head to head live on the exhibit floor in front of top food and beverage industry leaders at IWSB on Sunday, May 19. IWSB attendees will help narrow the field to the top three Star of the Bar finalists, who will then advance to the final live competition with special guest judges, master mixologist Tony Abou-Ganim, celebrity chef, personality and author Anthony Bourdain, and Todd Richman, Corporate Mixologist, Sidney Frank Importing Company at Restaurants Rock, the official party of the IWSB and NRA Show. The winner will receive a $5,000 cash prize.